First order of business was to restore the 'flippers'. These flippers flip open when the door is opened and flip closed when the door is closed. This seals the door and window.
Here is what I started with, a rusty passenger side flipper. It was good that I started with this one as it made the other one seem easy! I ordered a spring and weatherstrip kit from Danchuck, followed the instructiuons in the CCI tech book and used 3M super weatherstrip adhesive.
If you follow the instructions correctly, you will get something like this. One trick I found - use a small split piece of fuel line to prevent scratching of the flipper surface when 'rolling' out the old weatherstrip. The old springs and fasteners were removed and the flipper was split apart.
Pile o crud! Lots of rusted material. This tool a couple of days to do, mostly because you had to go slow and not break the old weatherstrip. Of course I broke it anyways, which required much scraping and prodding to get the old stuff out.
I ordered some Danchuck springs for the rebuild, but I found thay were a bit off from the originals. Specifically, the groove on the left spring was too great and would not fit into the pocket on the flipper and the right spring was not wide enough. So I ended up using my old springs instead. So much for a universal (55 - 57) application.The rusted strip has been painted black, the new fuzzies have been slipped into the old channel and secured with 3M adhesive.
The finished product (bottom) and comparing new and old.  Couple of tips here, open up the channel slightly with a flat head screwdriver, be sure to fit the fuzzies ahead of time and take the time to make it follow the contours (it's possible!) and clamp the fuzzies overnight. A quick spin on the buffing wheel and they look like new. I'm happy with the results, cant wait to see them on the car!
www.montego-mx.com
1956 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe Restoration
Home
<<< Back
Next >>>
Trim