The overall body was in good condition for it's age, but there were some problem area's, which include the passenger door and drivers floorpan. I also did some other modifications.
There were several problems with the lower portion of the door. This included rust, several dents, and the upper portion was cracked. I ordered some new lower sheetmetal from Danchuck to replace the rusted portion.
After drilling out thirty spot welds and using a cut off wheel, I was able to remove the lower section. I then test fitted the new sheet metal which fit well. Will lap weld the joints but will tack them in first and check the fit.
www.montego-mx.com
1956 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe Restoration
Home
<<< Back
Next >>>
Sheetmetal
Now for the vents. I'm never going to use these when I have the AC installed and working so out they go. Plus they take up space in the kick panel and I want to put a bedal operated emergency brake.
After some drilling and cutting, out it comes. Unfortunately it was not as easy as I thought, there was a lip that was larger than the opening on the inside. I guess this is for water so it would not get in the main cabin. The things you learn. This will be patched and welded.
Out goes the spare tire well. I plan on using run flat tires and a larger gas tank, so this becomes moot. Some more drilling and cutting...